At present we estimate our gas and electric usage yes? We have a meter that tell us exactly how much we are using but our providers tend to work out our bills based on estimations. One of our biggest house hold bills and we estimate it! Crazy right?? Well Smart Meters are here to stop that. Between now and 2020 everyone across England, Scotland and Wales will be offered a smart meter by their energy supplier at no extra cost. These meters will send real time information on your energy usage to your provider and will allow you to see your usage in pounds and pence, giving you a greater control over your bill. Smart energy is the voice of the smart meter roll out in the U.K and they have the task of telling everyone in Great Britain about this amazing campaign. More than 3.5 million smart meters have already been installed and recently Smart Energy has shared with me their latest finding of the impact of these smart meters.
Smart Energy GB recently published their fourth Smart energy outlook which is the largest independent barometer of national public opinion on energy and smart meters. They instructed independent research agency Populus to survey more than 10000 people around the county and they found the following:
- Nearly 8 in 10 people (79%) who have a smart meter would recommend them to others and 80% are taking steps to reduce their energy consumption.
- Over 8 in 10 people (84%) said that they had a better idea of their energy costs by having a smart meter.
- The research showed that 83% of people have chosen to take up the offer of having a in-home display (IHDs). These simple, handheld devises are having a positive impact on helping people to manage their spending, at no extra cost, when they have a smart meter installed.
- Nearly 9 in 10 (87%) of those with an IHD said they had a better idea of what they are spending compared to only 69% of those who have a smart meter but no IHD.
- 78% of those with a IHD check it regularly (at least a few times a month).
Sacha Deshmukh, Chief Executive of Smart Energy GB said this about the findings:
“Millions of households are already benefiting from smart meters, and our latest research demonstrates that people around the country are using the new technology in their homes to get their gas and electricity under control. People with smart meters are much better informed about how much gas and electricity they are using, and feel greater levels of control over their energy use and bills. Today’s report also makes clear the importance of the simple handheld display unit offered to every household when their smart meter is fitted. These are offered by every energy supplier at no extra cost, and mean that everyone can see what they’re spending at a glance – including those who do not have easy access to the internet at home.”
So...if you weren't sure about smart meters before then how can you now have any doubt?? As far as I can see it is going to save us money, show us what energy we are using and help us to think of ways we can protect our planet and reduce our energy consumption. Winning all around!! I can't wait to get our one and we are even considering contacting our energy supplier sooner rather than later to get one as anything that is going to save us some money is a massive YASSSSSS!!!
To find out more about smart meters and the Smart Enegry GB campaign then click here!